Twitter Enables Cannabis Promotion in US & Canada, Joining Growing Trend Towards Acceptance
Twitter is taking a major step towards normalizing cannabis in the United States and Canada by allowing approved cannabis advertisers to promote their products on the platform. As of February 7, 2021, Twitter will allow the promotion of “informational or brand-preference content” related to cannabis, subject to many restrictions. These restrictions include pre-authorization by Twitter, targeting users in areas of Canada and the US where marijuana is legal, no glamorization of cannabis use, no appeal to minors, no advertising of price or distribution of cannabis, no celebrity endorsements, and no depiction of people using cannabis or under the influence of cannabis.
AdCann, a cannabis marketing and advertising website, reported that Twitter has made a major policy shift by allowing ads from CBD topical brands, which was previously not permitted. This policy change sets Twitter apart from other advertising giants like Meta and Google, which ban THC and marijuana ads, including instructional content.
Starting now, Twitter's new policy allows advertisers to promote brand preference and informational cannabis-related content. AdCann pointed out that marketers can take advantage of Twitter's entire selection of advertising services, including: sponsored tweets, product promotions, location-targeted takeovers, in-stream video sponsorships, and partner publication features.
The policy shift by Twitter is part of a wider trend towards the acceptance of cannabis in the United States. 21 U.S. states have passed recreational cannabis laws, and legislatures in other states are considering similar measures. Furthermore, the President announced the issuance of marijuana-specific pardons on October 6, 2022, and granted a half dozen additional pardons at the end of last year, including for a handful of people with marijuana or other drug convictions on their records.
A Government House press release also highlighted a provision that provides expungement of minor marijuana convictions, and announced that Bryan had pardoned all criminal convictions for simple possession of marijuana.
All laws and regulations must be followed by advertisers. In general, advertisers are prohibited from promoting cannabis content, including the sale of cannabis products, except topical (non-ingestible) hemp-derived CBD products “containing equal to or less than the 0.3% THC government-set threshold.
0. “Twitter greenlights ads for cannabis, THC brands – News” www.mmm-online.com, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.mmm-online.com/home/channel/twitter-greenlights-ads-for-cannabis-thc-brands/
1. “Availability of recreational cannabis reduced demand for …” www.sph.pitt.edu, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.sph.pitt.edu/news/availability-recreational-cannabis-reduced-demand-prescription-codeine
2. “Biden Signs Equity-Focused Executive Order That Touts Marijuana …” www.marijuanamoment.net, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/biden-signs-equity-focused-executive-order-that-touts-marijuana-clemency-actions-calling-criminalization-a-failed-approach/
3. “Advisory board to meet about cannabis law | News …” www.virginislandsdailynews.com, 19 Feb. 2023, http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/news/advisory-board-to-meet-about-cannabis-law/article_bdbc62a8-d32a-5407-8d28-14edc1dd1d68.html
4. “Twitter Allows Cannabis Advertisers to Promote in the U.S. and …” mgmagazine.com, 19 Feb. 2023, https://mgmagazine.com/cannabis-news/twitter-allows-cannabis-advertisers-to-promote-in-the-u-s-and-canada/