Path to Pennie: Pennsylvania Revenue Department Launches Easy Way to Get Health Coverage This Tax Season
Uninsured Pennsylvanians now have an easy way to get covered this tax season. The Pennsylvania Revenue Department has announced a new ‘Path to Pennie’ program that allows individuals to indicate their lack of health insurance coverage through an optional tax form called REV-1882. Those who fill out the form will receive an official postal notice from Pennie with instructions on how to get coverage through a Special Enrollment Period.
The ‘Path to Pennie' program was inspired by Maryland’s ‘Easy Enrollment’ program, which was the first of its kind in the country. Since its launch in 2019, more than 100,000 people have checked the box on their tax returns to get more information about health insurance plans available to them, and more than 10,000 have signed up for health insurance.
Now, U.S. Senator Chris Van Hollen is taking the program national by introducing the “Easy Enrollment in Health Care Act”, which would add a checkbox to federal tax forms and direct details from those interested to state health programs. The act would benefit the estimated 7.3 million Americans who are eligible for health insurance, but not enrolled.
In Pennsylvania, Lt. Gov. Austin Davis said “Path to Pennie is a great example of how state government can and should work for the people of Pennsylvania.” The program will provide Pennsylvanians with a unique opportunity to enroll in quality, low-cost health coverage at a price they can afford.
Those who file their taxes electronically will find that the majority of third-party tax preparation software providers will automatically complete the REV-1882 on their behalf if they answer a few simple questions. People can also find Pennie-certified pros at pennie.com/connect, or call 1-844-844-8040 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays for more information.
0. “Pa. offers ‘path' to affordable health coverage | Editorials | ncnewsonline.com” New Castle News, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.ncnewsonline.com/opinion/editorials/pa-offers-path-to-affordable-health-coverage/article_e961c0e7-3de6-5c4f-b0fb-a760726310f1.html
1. “New program connects uninsured Pennsylvanians to health coverage” WPMT FOX 43, 7 Feb. 2023, https://www.fox43.com/article/news/local/new-program-connects-uninsured-pennsylvanians-health-coverage/521-58a8c2ce-8084-4d76-abe3-dd678efb95e2
2. “With tax season underway, officials hope more Marylanders will check off ‘easy enrollment' box to get health insurance …” Maryland Matters, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.marylandmatters.org/2023/02/13/with-tax-season-underway-officials-hope-more-marylanders-will-check-off-easy-enrollment-box-to-get-health-insurance-info/
3. “Maryland Sen. Van Hollen is pushing for healthcare enrollment on tax forms nationwide” WYPR, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.wypr.org/wypr-news/2023-02-13/maryland-sen-van-hollen-is-pushing-for-healthcare-enrollment-on-tax-forms-nationwide
4. “PA Takes the Path to Pennie and Offers Health Care Coverage During Tax Season” PennWatch, 7 Feb. 2023, https://pennwatch.org/pa-takes-the-path-to-pennie-and-offers-health-care-coverage-during-tax-season