Staying Informed on New Marijuana Legislation: The Latest on Amendment 3
As of February 2023, over half of U.S. states have legalized or decriminalized the recreational use of marijuana, and three-quarters of states allow it for medical purposes. This shift in legislation has resulted in an increasing proportion of the population who report using the drug, with an estimated 18% of U.S. adults using marijuana in 2019. Despite the loosening of restrictions, it is important to remain informed of the legal regulations surrounding cannabis use and possession.
The most recent legislative reform is Amendment 3, which was passed in February of 2023. This amendment marks a significant reduction in how marijuana is regulated in the state, but users must still be aware of the laws. Adults aged 21 and over are allowed to purchase up to three ounces of marijuana per transaction and may apply for a cultivator license. Cultivation of plants must take place out of sight of the public, or the cultivator may face a penalty of up to $250 and be forced to surrender the plants. Growers must also take care to ensure that cannabis is not left in an area where a person under 21 years old may gain access to it.
If you would like to stay informed of new marijuana legislation as it develops, you can view our Bill Tracker HERE. Marijuana Moment is also tracking hundreds of cannabis, psychedelics, and drug policy bills in state legislatures and Congress this year. Patrons pledging at least $25/month can access our interactive maps, charts, and hearing calendar. For more information about health and science, become a member and view our About Us page. Finally, if you would like to advertise with us, please see our Advertising page.
0. “Cannabis News – High Desert Relief” highdesertrelief.org, 28 Feb. 2023, https://highdesertrelief.org/news/
1. “Cannabis users have higher complexity of co-existing conditions” www.news-medical.net, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230227/Cannabis-users-have-higher-complexity-of-co-existing-conditions.aspx
2. “Recreational cannabis sales to start Feb. 6 | News …” www.thesalemnewsonline.com, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/news/article_f7c2618e-a17e-11ed-971b-3713c6fb8fa4.html
3. “Homegrown cannabis bill introduced in Washington House | News …” www.khq.com, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.khq.com/news/homegrown-cannabis-bill-introduced-in-washington-house/article_dc29b520-a008-11ed-ac7c-bfdeeefcd325.html
4. “Current News Archives – The Cannabis Alliance” thecannabisalliance.us, 28 Feb. 2023, https://thecannabisalliance.us/news/
5. “Feds warn about CBD (Newsletter: February 27, 2023) – Marijuana …” www.marijuanamoment.net, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/feds-warn-about-cbd-newsletter-february-27-2023/