Navigating the Growing Cannabis Industry: Vermont Cannabis Regulators Investigate Potential Ties with Curaleaf and Abramovich
State legislators in Vermont are currently investigating the potential ties between the cannabis company Curaleaf and Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich. This inquiry follows a report by Vice that discovered the oligarch invested $130 million and provided $194 million in loans to US cannabis firms, with Curaleaf being the main beneficiary.
The Vermont Cannabis Regulators are looking into House Bill 360, which legalizes the possession and use of cannabis for persons over the age of 21 by removing marijuana as a Schedule I drug from the state's criminal code. The bill also provides oversight regulating its cultivation, sale, and product labeling.
In addition, Senate Bill 211 was approved by House committees and is currently being vetted. This bill would also legalize the adult use of cannabis and remove marijuana as a Schedule I drug from the state's criminal code.
Meanwhile, the first legal recreational marijuana dispensary opened in New York City at the end of last year. This launch comes a year after the state legalized marijuana for adults 21 and over and is expected to be one of the country’s most profitable cannabis markets.
Washington is also currently considering a bill that would prohibit employers from testing job applicants for cannabis. SB 5123, sponsored by Sen. Karen Keiser (D-Des Moines), would only apply to pre-employment cannabis testing and would not apply to applicants in the airline and aerospace industries or those requiring a federal background investigation or security clearance.
To stay up to date on the latest cannabis news, subscribe to Marijuana Moment's newsletter. This is the best way to make sure you know which stories are shaping the industry. You can also receive daily cannabis business news updates by subscribing to the newsletter.
For more information, dial in 1 647-794-4605 or 1 888-254-3590 or get in touch with the Vermont Cannabis Regulators at 415-397-7600.
For those interested in further exploring the potential connection between Curaleaf and Roman Abramovich, the replay number is 1 647-436-0148 or 1 888-203-1112.
It is clear that the cannabis industry is growing, with more states legalizing the adult use of cannabis and further discussion on pre-employment drug testing. Stay informed on the latest trends by subscribing to Marijuana Moment's newsletter and keeping up with the daily cannabis business news.
0. “New Biden exec order touts cannabis actions (Newsletter: February …” www.marijuanamoment.net, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-biden-exec-order-touts-cannabis-actions-newsletter-february-20-2023/
1. “Vermont Cannabis Regulators Investigating Curaleaf's Ties to …” www.ganjapreneur.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.ganjapreneur.com/vermont-cannabis-regulators-investigating-curaleafs-ties-to-russian-oligarch/
2. “State Policy Weekly Update 2/22/2023 – NORML” norml.org, 23 Feb. 2023, https://norml.org/blog/2023/02/22/state-policy-weekly-update-2-22-2023/
3. “Cannabis News | Cannabis Blog | Herban Creative” herbancreativenj.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://herbancreativenj.com/cannabis-news
4. “State senate passes bill that would ban pre-employment cannabis …” mynorthwest.com, 23 Feb. 2023, https://mynorthwest.com/3838085/state-senate-bill-ban-pre-employment-cannabis-tests/