Historic Milestone: NYC Opens Legal Marijuana Dispensary and Minnesota Passes Cannabis Bill
On February 7th, 2023, New York City made history as the first city in the state to open a legal recreational marijuana dispensary. Legally Rooted, located on 6th Street, opened its doors with a ribbon cutting ceremony, becoming the first dispensary to open in the Queen City. This launch comes after the state legalized marijuana for adults 21 and older in 2022, encouraging what is expected to be one of the country’s most profitable markets for cannabis yet.
In addition to the establishment of this dispensary, the President announced the issuance of marijuana-specific pardons on October 6th, 2022. These pardons are intended to help people with federal criminal records for simple marijuana possession to obtain employment, housing, education, and more.
The ninth panel to grant approval to a bill that would legalize recreational cannabis is the Minnesota House Education Finance Committee. It contains provisions to keep cannabis away from young people, such as child-proof packaging and labels, and Poison Control contact information.
Marijuana Moment is tracking hundreds of cannabis, psychedelics and drug policy bills in state legislatures and Congress this year, and provides interactive maps, charts and hearing calendar to its Patreon supporters pledging at least $25/month.
Overall, the opening of the first recreational marijuana dispensary in New York City is a monumental milestone in the fight for cannabis legalization and reform. The pardons issued and the bill passed in Minnesota are also encouraging steps in the right direction.
0. “Meridian cannabis dispensary opens | Local News | meridianstar.com” www.meridianstar.com, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.meridianstar.com/news/local_news/meridian-cannabis-dispensary-opens/article_b8071b52-5ee0-579a-b5fd-424fb4c6de79.html
1. “Cannabis News | Cannabis Blog | Herban Creative” herbancreativenj.com, 21 Feb. 2023, https://herbancreativenj.com/cannabis-news
2. “Presidential Pardons for Federal Cannabis Possession Convictions …” communitynewspapers.com, 21 Feb. 2023, https://communitynewspapers.com/featured/presidential-pardons-for-federal-cannabis-possession-convictions-still-unavailable/
3. “Recreational cannabis passes another MN House committee | News …” www.willmarradio.com, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.willmarradio.com/news/recreational-cannabis-passes-another-mn-house-committee/article_abdf4658-aec4-11ed-8550-f78f2b27cd1a.html
4. “New Biden exec order touts cannabis actions (Newsletter: February …” www.marijuanamoment.net, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-biden-exec-order-touts-cannabis-actions-newsletter-february-20-2023/