Congress Introduces Bills to Target Abortion Funding: The EACH Act and the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act
Today, House Democrats have introduced a bill to target the ban on federal funding for most abortions. The legislation, called the Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Healthcare Act (EACH Act), is sponsored by Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley, Chair of the Pro Choice Caucus’ (PCC) Abortion Rights and Access Task Force, alongside her PCC colleagues Representatives Barbara Lee (D-CA), Diana DeGette (D-CO), and Jan Schakowsky (D-IL). The bill is cosponsored by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Senate Minority Whip John Thune (R-SD), and 45 other Senators.
The EACH Act aims to make abortion services more accessible and affordable for all, regardless of income, insurance, or zip code, by repealing the Hyde Amendment. The Hyde Amendment, which was established in 1976, prohibits the federal government from paying for abortions in most cases. The bill would also eliminate taxpayer-funded subsidies for elective abortion coverage currently offered on Affordable Care Act exchanges through refundable tax credits.
Rep. Pressley stated, “In their first few days in the majority, House Republicans have wasted no time in pushing their dangerous anti-abortion and anti-woman agenda, advancing harmful legislation that spreads misinformation and further limits access to abortion care.”
The No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act, which was introduced by Senator Tommy Tuberville and Senator Katie Britt, seeks to codify the long-standing ban on federal funding for abortion and block attempts to federalize abortion funding through the appropriations process. Tuberville stated, “Every life is sacred.”
The introduction of these bills in Congress demonstrate the ongoing battle to ensure access to reproductive healthcare services and the right to abortion in the United States.
0. “La., Miss. senators introduce ‘no taxpayer funding for abortion' bill” WBRZ, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.wbrz.com/news/la-miss-senators-introduce-no-taxpayer-funding-for-abortion-bill
1. “Press Release | Press Releases | Newsroom | U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy of Louisiana” Senator Bill Cassidy, 25 Jan. 2023, https://www.cassidy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/cassidy-wicker-colleagues-introduce-permanent-ban-on-taxpayer-funding-for-abortions
2. “Federal Bill Ensuring Medicaid Coverage for Abortion Introduced in U.S. House” YubaNet, 27 Jan. 2023, https://yubanet.com/usa/federal-bill-ensuring-medicaid-coverage-for-abortion-introduced-in-u-s-house/
3. “House Dems introduce bill to allow federal funding to cover abortion” Axios, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/01/26/house-democrats-hyde-amendment-abortion-roe
4. “Risch Defends the Unborn and Mothers while Preventing Taxpayer Funded Abortion” Jim Risch, 26 Jan. 2023, https://www.risch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/pressreleases?ID=E07D651A-8AE3-4332-9FC9-49B5801B67A4
5. “Tuberville, Britt join to ban taxpayer funding for abortions” Yellowhammer News, 25 Jan. 2023, https://yellowhammernews.com/tuberville-britt-join-to-ban-taxpayer-funding-for-abortions/